Uncovered and in my bathing suit I sat on a quiet nook of Lake Ontario shoreline, working up the nerve to plunge into the thrashing water.
Internally, I was as stormy as the great lake.
Annoyed with the people in my life. Frustrated with silly circumstances. I was a grump that day.
Sighing, I looked down at my legs. Legs thicker and straighter than I’d like, I let my mind stew on the stories I’ve told about my body and the ones others have told me too. Knee deep in feeling sorry for myself, out of nowhere I heard an inner voice.
“What are the new stories? What are the new dreams?”, the voice asked me.
I didn’t have an answer at that moment but I sat with the question for a few days, taking to my journal to sort through my thoughts and feelings. A few days later, a single word came to me.
In a flash, my mind’s eye showed me an ethereal, grainy image of a mother tenderly cradling her small child. This image, clearly taken on film, was the embodiment of where I want to take my art going forward.
I had my answer. The first step in my new story, in my new dreams.
This fall I have my first exhibition as an artist at the Tett Centre. In honour of this first, it’s my dream to create a new body of work focusing on the tenderness of the mother’s relationship to her child.
Closer: Motherhood Sessions.
Can you help me with this?
If you are a mother, at any stage in the journey, and are available for an evening session between now and mid-September I would love to hear from you.
This opportunity is for you if:
- You love the idea of a session focusing on your motherhood story, but feel like it’s an indulgence.
- You are willing to take direction from me on clothing and style considerations.
- You are available to be photographed, with your child, in the early evening before the middle of September.
- Are willing to answer a few questions about motherhood with candor.
- Are able to attend an in-person (socially distanced) viewing appointment to see your images.
This opportunity isn’t for you if:
- Want a family session. This is just for mom with her little one(s).
- If you expect dozens and dozens of images. I will be photographing these sessions on fine art film, which will yield a handful of really special images.
- If you have specific posing or creative ideas. These sessions will be for me to experiment and play with the word “Closer” and how it relates to being a mother.
What you’ll receive:
- A complimentary magical, intimate Fine Art portrait session just for you and your little ones.
- A complimentary archival Fine Art matted print, valued at $100
- An opportunity to show up, be seen and document your love for your children.
If you think you’re a good fit for this tender, magical experience drop me a line at email@example.com before Friday, August 28th. Tell me the ages of your children and finish this sentence “My Closer: Motherhood Session will make me feel…” We’ll take the conversation from there.